My Own Small Rant About Intel

Now I am no expert on the matters of marketing and such, nor company decisions but I did want to make a post about something that does effect me in one way or another.

Intel leaving the Motherboard business does give me some cause for anger. I have been faithful to purchasing Intel Branded boards for as many years as I have been building computers. While the didn't always garner the same feature set as contemporary boards of the time they did have one key selling feature, at least to me. Rock solid stability. Throughout the years, and many RMA's in my time with all the various manufacturers Intel never let me down once. Since the old Prescott till now I have had nothing but success in using their products, but alas that comes to a sharp close with the dawn of Haswell.

I find it hard to believe that they cannot compete, given the strong financial portfolio that the company maintains along with have such a solid partner ship with Foxconn (whom is the OEM for their Main Boards).
Sure there exists competition out there but they have in the past always been able to perform in the environment. It would be nice to see them change their minds and bring new and exciting products to market.
Sadly, I don't think I'll ever see this. So I will keep the boards I have as a testament to the company that once was, and is no longer.

End Rant,

-Shiver

Given the success you have had with their MOBs I can easily see why you feel that way. The issue is dwindling profit margins. MOB have become cheaper and cheaper, and by having the MOB produced by another company (Foxconn), there is one more cut into the small margins. To be competitively priced and have and extra company wanting a cut of the $ its no surprise that they are discontinuing MOB under their name. I have a feeling a few more companies may be forced to bow out of MOB as well in the coming years.

My ols-add MSI intel board is rock stable when come to memory, HDD and CPU parts. The VIA chipset probably screw something up for the 3D gaming, but that it is. W/O this, it works good.

So I would respect Intel for a good stability products. VERY RELIABLE. Sad they leave the mainboards design and production…  but the new MSI P55A-GD55 maninboard is also rock stable (considering we did not know what good the PSU are, this is a miracle).
So MSI using Intel chipset and CPU's can build a good stable mainboards as well.

@Bond007:

Given the success you have had with their MOBs I can easily see why you feel that way. The issue is dwindling profit margins. MOB have become cheaper and cheaper, and by having the MOB produced by another company (Foxconn), there is one more cut into the small margins. To be competitively priced and have and extra company wanting a cut of the $ its no surprise that they are discontinuing MOB under their name. I have a feeling a few more companies may be forced to bow out of MOB as well in the coming years.

True enough, I would have hoped that they could have still found use in the OEM market with their boards in other rigs (like Lenovo used to use) and thus keep a good amount of capital flowing to keep the enthusiast line alive. Sadly you are right, its a shrinking market as of late. I remember years and years ago the selection was a lot more, now it is hard to find what I want and what I can trust. Hopefully as ASRock matures they will be my secondary source. At least with the  newest Z87 Chipset I have a good 2 years before I have to really worry.

@trodas:

My ols-add MSI intel board is rock stable when come to memory, HDD and CPU parts. The VIA chipset probably screw something up for the 3D gaming, but that it is. W/O this, it works good.

So I would respect Intel for a good stability products. VERY RELIABLE. Sad they leave the mainboards design and production…  but the new MSI P55A-GD55 maninboard is also rock stable (considering we did not know what good the PSU are, this is a miracle).
So MSI using Intel chipset and CPU's can build a good stable mainboards as well.

My issue with MSI, is their customer support team. I have had nothing but idiots whenever I deal with these guys for anything. Coupled with a lot of fiascos on older style boards and GPU's means MSI will likely never see my business for years and years to come.

-Shiver

Views