Gaming box that rivals the ps4 for 400 bucks?

Hi fellas, i was just curious what you guys though of the possibility of building a box that could rival the ps4 / xbox one for the same price as the console cost?

Lets get creative about it, lets give it the ol' "well if you had this part already, or if you bought used, or or or…"  then we can go from there.

I'm not going to be trying to build anything from this thread, i'm just curious as to the plausability of being able to build a box that could actually pull off current gen gaming.

looked at this back in the day as well
first there is the Brix
Gigabyte BRIX AMD A8 5545M DDR3 Radeon 8510G HDMI USB3 GLAN Compact PC Kit
then you need ram a hdd and a os which puts you over unless you Kijiji and RFD that stuff.
Found the little rig could actually turn heads and do well with 1866 or faster ram 🙂

Now to be honest the BTC craze has opened up the market for cheap rigs such as a few I picked up
AMD 4300 + M5A99X Evo, 8GB DDR3 1866, 270x Msi Gaming, 850 watt AX850 and 2 250gb hdd's for $300
Throw in a cheap case and pull a windows 7 sticker off another computer and for less then $400 you have a damn nice gaming rig.

The key is to watch the sales and used stuff as there are so many options now

That brix unit looks pretty nifty.  especially for someone that travels a lot.  You think the gpu would be powerful enough to rival ps4 graphics?

@Tzetsin:

That brix unit looks pretty nifty.  especially for someone that travels a lot.  You think the gpu would be powerful enough to rival ps4 graphics?

As I know your a rich SOB there is 2 models and 2 models only for you and the answer to all your questions is yes yes and it does kick ass

Good
http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-brix-amd-a8-5545m-b1-93595.htm
BETTER
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164013&cm_re=brix--56-164-013--Product
BEST
http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-brix-intel-i5-4200h-1c-99617.htm

or best yet buy all 3 give soul the other 2 you dont want he keeps one and gives the last away
haha jk

I'd have to dust my brain off, but a Kaveri A10 with 'something' in ACF (crossfire with the apu and the gpu) could give you similar performance…problem is I can't remember the gpu(s)...

R7 250 is the answer you are looking for Arinoth 🙂 or 240 but 250 is best

I'm not sure the overall price point, I mean an A8 would work with that R7 too, but that would give you extra punch either way.

So this whole thread is actually for a coworker that just got a job out here doing what I do.  She's fresh out of uni and has no money.  Shes totally wierd in that she's a gamer and wants to get the ps4 out here for gaming.  problem is that gaming on a console is pretty frowned uppon here, though gaming on a pc is generally pretty acceptable. (dunno why, stupid i know…)  So I was trying to see if there was a pc solution for ps4 performance in a somewhat mobile pc form factor.

I've got a pretty awesome little box myself already (as you guys know) which is performing better than expected so far, and isn't much larger than a ps4... but the cost is significantly more lol.  She was pretty interested inthe Brix systems though as she could mount it on the monitor and not have a "pc" to cart around.  I'm pretty interested too.  I think i'll build up the cheaper one that was listed here just for shits n giggles and to see how it performs.  sometimes i have to go on fly in jobs and carting around even this little box i have (which weighs a frackin tonn) is not "allowed" (though i do it anyway ;D)

@Tzetsin:

So this whole thread is actually for a coworker that just got a job out here doing what I do.  She's fresh out of uni and has no money.  Shes totally wierd in that she's a gamer and wants to get the ps4 out here for gaming.  problem is that gaming on a console is pretty frowned uppon here, though gaming on a pc is generally pretty acceptable. (dunno why, stupid i know…)  So I was trying to see if there was a pc solution for ps4 performance in a somewhat mobile pc form factor.

I've got a pretty awesome little box myself already (as you guys know) which is performing better than expected so far, and isn't much larger than a ps4... but the cost is significantly more lol.  She was pretty interested inthe Brix systems though as she could mount it on the monitor and not have a "pc" to cart around.  I'm pretty interested too.  I think i'll build up the cheaper one that was listed here just for shits n giggles and to see how it performs.  sometimes i have to go on fly in jobs and carting around even this little box i have (which weighs a frackin tonn) is not "allowed" (though i do it anyway ;D)

If she decides to go with a Brix just pick it up and come swing by my place, I got a great HDD, spare copy of windows, extra wireless card and Ram for it so she would be ready to go right away, all you got to do is bring the beer  😉

This sounds like a good excuse to drink beer and build computer.  I'm in.

maybe i need really good ram though for graphics.  what you think?

@Tzetsin:

maybe i need really good ram though for graphics.  what you think?

What model is she looking at?

Views