http://www.soylent.me/

So its not available in Canada yet.

I'm just curious about people's thoughts about this interesting way of obtaining the nutrition you need daily.
Without the need to spend time thinking of what to eat, or spending time going out to buy it, or the ingredients to cook it.
You could be a lot more productive.

I mean, I've gone on a juice fast before, where I juiced together a melange of vegetables and fruits for each mealโ€ฆ boy did I feel a huge jolt of energy from that, but man did it feel weird not having to go to defecate for weeks on end, and still have freaking energy to function more than adequately during the day.

This is just taking the process of eating, and obtaining nutrition from your food to a whole new extreme.
Breaking down the basics of what is required by the human body to function and just giving people the raw nutritional ingredients instead of the actual foods that contain them.

Just add water, shake it up, and chug it down?
Is this perhaps taking things a little too far for the instant gratification generation?

Share your thoughts, and opinions.

Here's the thing. I voted hell no, but it's not so black and white. I would try something like that as a meal replacement or supplement, but I wouldn't use it as a sole source of nutrition. More like a once every few days, or weeks when you are running short on time and/or had a crappy day lacking nutritional content.

I completely agree that something like this could be created containing everything a person needs to survive, but its not natural. I know as soon as you put the word natural out there it opens a whole other discussion, but if I want to eat healthy its local grown fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat, along with free range eggs where I can see the chickens out walking around and seafood that goes from the fishing boat to a van to my house. Luckily for me I can get all those things easily where I am at.

Meeting nutritional requirements, and eating healthy are different things.

HOWEVER, there are many people around that I would recommend this to, since it would be way better for them then what they currently consume.

if this was FS in Canada I would 100% buy it.

I have become way over weight and this looks like a great way to cut down on two meals a day ๐Ÿ™‚

I should have mentioned, we don't necessarily have to buy the retail product.

Apparently the recipe is "open source" and available for us to create at home, and "hack" the formula to modify to taste.

I do have to agree with what Bond007 mentioned as well.
As a meal replacement I think it could be pretty decent, at least providing the body with "nutrients" but not necessarily eating healthfully.

I voted "maybe" because I really do enjoy flavors in my food lol.

Then again, this type of thinking could go a long way to help solve some hunger issues in developing nations.
Too bad it looks like plaster.

I would try it, would definitely be good for extended back packing trips. But theres no way I'd replace real food with that, I've already lost 50lbs this year I can't afford to lose more ๐Ÿ˜›

You have tempted me Grampa think I might try this but add fruit and veggies for taste.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/canadian-people-chow

As a meal replacement in very limited situations, I could see it working. However, one of life's great joys is eating damn good food. Even on the road from 235 to 160lbs I ate stuff that tasted great.

@LPfan4ever:

As a meal replacement in very limited situations, I could see it working. However, one of life's great joys is eating damn good food. Even on the road from 235 to 160lbs I ate stuff that tasted great.

I believe a meal replacement can even be turned into something good, its just like modding a system stock its crap, when you have all the tools in front of you they still mean nothing but put in the right combo you can create something amazing. I plan to do the same with these meal replacements.

Stock is for Chumps ๐Ÿ˜›

@Soullessone21:

@LPfan4ever:

I believe a meal replacement can even be turned into something good, its just like modding a system stock its crap, when you have all the tools in front of you they still mean nothing but put in the right combo you can create something amazing. I plan to do the same with these meal replacements.

Stock is for Chumps ๐Ÿ˜›

I think at that point it'll just be a "meal" ๐Ÿ˜›

I know this is a old topic but it's now available North America wideโ€ฆ Very tempted haha https://www.soylent.com/?ref=logo

The whole idea of soylent was to make a well rounded, liquid replacement food. The problem isโ€ฆit already exists: MRP or Meal Replacement Powder (sometimes called meal replacement drinks) have been around since Arnnie was competing...AND MRP also cost less per serving.

For about the price of Soylent 56+ bad you can get Mutant Mass 30lb (bogo deal) that will do 104 meals.
http://www.supplementsource.ca/Mutant_p/pvl mutant mass 15lb bogo.htm

MM is a little light on fats...but considering that amount is for 105 meals....you can easily afford to get a good multivitamin (which you need with Soylent too!) and a bottle of Coconut Oil...and if you want omega 3s a bottle of fishoil caplsules...AND still me in money.ย  Plus it wont taste like ass.

As someone who drinks atleast one meal a day...yeah Soylent is one of those ideas that sounded good on paper but never really could work - for if it could the big boys in the supplement biz would already be doing it!

Views