So the time has come and I'm rebuilding my computer room in the basement. The room is approximately 200" by 120" with a closet. All the walls are taken down except one side that I don't really need to work on. The plan so far is to add 20 amp service on one side of the room and 20 amps on the other half. This should be plenty of power. In the closet I have two power outlets. One of them will be on the 20amp service for one side of the room but the second one will be on a 15amp breaker shared with the laundry room with three lights and a couple outlets that are hardly used.

Total outlets in the room will be 9 plus 2 in the closet. I plan to run two Ethernet cables beside each outlet and all the wires will be ran into the closet. Since most of my basement is opened up now I will be running Ethernet everywhere and all ran into the closet.

I think I have everything pretty much covered but if you guys have another ideas on what I should do or change please let me know! I don't work in the IT field so I don't know if I am missing anything that I should be adding just incase. Still not sure what I'm going to do for a floor yet.

Thanks!

What are you running for a switch/Router?

Do you need help on site setting it all up 😛

Go with Hardwood floors or Laminate Floors do not go with carpet or tile as carpet has its own annoying issues such as the dust and static where Tile scratches up due to all the hardware.

What else are you running in there?

Do you have a server rack for the closet?

The switch hasn't been purchased yet as I will probably need at least 24 ports. Was going to wait until I have all the wires strung out. So Ill need some help buying one of them.

Don't need help as of yet, heh. Father and law is a electrician and he's helping out with wiring and the breakers. I'm buying solid Cat 6 wire tomorrow.

I was thinking of finding a rack on kijiji or something to mount my server which I will mount in it. Its a Supermicro 2U server. I could probably mount other things in it too.

So far it will be a FreeNAS server, my gaming computer and I have four big computer desks. A couple of them will be building desks. I will probably going to need lots of shelving since I have a ton parts.

Yeah I was thinking some sort of hard floor, ill look into hardwood or laminate. Probably laminate because its a basement floor. I have tile in some areas but its coming out.

Thanks

@tray:

The switch hasn't been purchased yet as I will probably need at least 24 ports. Was going to wait until I have all the wires strung out. So Ill need some help buying one of them.

Don't need help as of yet, heh. Father and law is a electrician and he's helping out with wiring and the breakers. I'm buying solid Cat 6 wire tomorrow.

I was thinking of finding a rack on kijiji or something to mount my server which I will mount in it. Its a Supermicro 2U server. I could probably mount other things in it too.

So far it will be a FreeNAS server, my gaming computer and I have four big computer desks. A couple of them will be building desks. I will probably going to need lots of shelving since I have a ton parts.

Yeah I was thinking some sort of hard floor, ill look into hardwood or laminate. Probably laminate because its a basement floor. I have tile in some areas but its coming out.

Thanks

For Switches I think I have you covered a buddies company is upgrading to all fiber lines so they should have some spare cat6 24 48 and 72 port switches.

If you can get in floor heating that is a huge must as I know my basement gets damn cold gaming.

You should also draw out your design looks like you got a damn nice setup on the way

Awesome, yeah let me know if you can get one of those switches! I'm figuring ill need at least a 48 port now, but more the better. I just finished installing the outlets and boxes and I did a count. I counted 28 cat.6 outlets I will be installing. Its a bit crazy but it will be available if I have issues with a wire. I will have a 1000' solid cat.6 roll, might as well try to use it up.

Yeah heated floor would be nice, the room used to have carpet but it was a thin cheap carpet. Seemed pretty good for warmth though when computers were on. The ceiling is double insulated and even the wall facing the laundry room is insulated, but if I go with a hard floor probably a good idea to heat it. I will definitely look into it.

Here is a Visio drawing I did up for the room.

(Boob looking things are power outlets)

Once it gets filled with desks and shelving its going to be a full room. Id like to get a couch back in it again too, heh.

Looks like a damn nice space. Yah I can cover you switch side of things. Is there going to be a awe inspiring gaming rig in there?

PS great boobs haha

Yeah, the room is pretty good, its actually the exact same size as both bedrooms upstairs but the two rooms are not that big.

Been thinking about building new crazy rig but the 2500k with a GTX 780 still does the job pretty well for me right now. Ill probably get the itch this fall.

I just added another outlet in the closet, the wiring was not done well down here so trying my best to fix it up to make it proper. It was just as easy to add another outlet then tie in to the breaker. This one wire was to short coming from the breaker so why not add another outlet!

Alright, all wired, powered and walls are insulated now. Ending up being 24 Ethernet ports. I pulled 800 ft. of cable last night, lol. I ran 4 wires to each outlet against the one back wall (bottom of drawing) then the rest were just two wires each, except the closet and outlet beside closet which have none.  Need to finish vapor barrier today. This will probably be the end for now until the middle of February. Tomorrow Ill just be working on my basement living room and getting that project started. Ill probably need more Cat 6 for TV area then run those wires to the closet.

Things still needed:

put walls up
install floor
server rack
patch panel
switch
new window

Hi

Looks ok , but 20amp service is overkill .
For flooring install some kind of subfloor like Dricore  . Being a basement laminate or engineering hardwood is the way to go .

For the price of 20 amp cable, a new breaker and all new outlets it wasn't very expensive at all. Was just over $200 if I remember right. The main breaker panel is in the next room. I've blown the 15 amp breaker easily when running my old 4 way SLI computer and another computer on the same circuit when I was folding. If I was to do something like this again then Ill be ready! The way the wiring was setup on the 15 amp breaker before was the computer room outlets, lights, hallway lights and the bathroom. I was rewiring anyway so upgrading the wire wasn't a big deal.

Ill look at Dricore, thanks.

Well I should update this. I finished the computer room a while back but still trying to figure out final placement of desks and shelving units.

I used Dricore subfloor panels and put down vinyl floor tiles on top. It's a commercial grade tile floor and is really durable, haven't scratched it yet dragging chairs and computers across it. The flooring was the most expensive part of the whole room but well worth it.

All 24 cat6 keystones are terminated in the room. I have 39 network wires ran throughout the rest of the house and all run into the closet. All wires have plugs and mostly tested since other areas of the house are still in progress. They all plug into the 48 port switch I got from soul (THANKS!). Also ran 6 cable TV wires into the closet from various locations in the house since the house had none. Some RG59 was string around but I removed it.

I ended up putting 4 power outlets in the closet because how the wiring was originally done. I didn't want to re run new power wires so I just installed outlets.

Only thing I didn't do is put a roof in. If I want to add cat wires into the rooms above it I can do so.

I think that's it. I've acquired so much computer stuff recently so I need to get rid of it to make room for the stuff I had in it before! Can't believe its almost full already.

@tray:

Well I should update this. I finished the computer room a while back but still trying to figure out final placement of desks and shelving units.

I used Dricore subfloor panels and put down vinyl floor tiles on top. It's a commercial grade tile floor and is really durable, haven't scratched it yet dragging chairs and computers across it. The flooring was the most expensive part of the whole room but well worth it.

All 24 cat6 keystones are terminated in the room. I have 39 network wires ran throughout the rest of the house and all run into the closet. All wires have plugs and mostly tested since other areas of the house are still in progress. They all plug into the 48 port switch I got from soul (THANKS!). Also ran 6 cable TV wires into the closet from various locations in the house since the house had none. Some RG59 was string around but I removed it.

I ended up putting 4 power outlets in the closet because how the wiring was originally done. I didn't want to re run new power wires so I just installed outlets.

Only thing I didn't do is put a roof in. If I want to add cat wires into the rooms above it I can do so.

I think that's it. I've acquired so much computer stuff recently so I need to get rid of it to make room for the stuff I had in it before! Can't believe its almost full already.

Sounds awesome make sure to take some pix of the epic setup and share with us 🙂

Views