Swapping from my review sample 780 ti to a 290X tonight wish me luck

First time in years I'm moving back to amd going to use a 290x cuii tops swapping from my sexy pny 780 ti custom.

Looking forward to the change as I am no fanboi for either team.

Down from a triple lcd setup to 1440 so should be more then enough power.

Anyone else done the swap from green to red or red to green as of late? How did it go for you.

my green to red swap went without a hitch. I made sure every bit of team green (including registry) was gone before installing.

Edit:
I used this guide so I would get everything without having to resort to a registry cleaner.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

Thanks good little guide there 🙂

using the 290x right now and loving it, its far quieter than the 780 ti and currently running colder 😮 wait did I just type that right… hey I did, the stock 290x maybe super hot and loud but wow Asus CUII cooler kicks butt 🙂

Yeah the 290/290x really need a good cooler. I still can't believe AMD shipped them with a reference cooler that is incapable of cooling the card under load.

I think the 290x is just a bit under a 780ti for performance (isn't it?), but the extra 1GB of vram will help you out at 1440p at times I am sure.

Used my 290x last night and was extremely impressed.

Card was near silent the whole time I was gaming.

Going to have to test it more.

I want one! sapphire tri-X to be exact, not happening any time soon though 😞

@Soullessone21:

Used my 290x last night and was extremely impressed.

Card was near silent the whole time I was gaming.

Going to have to test it more.

You're welcome…

@Arinoth:

You're welcome…

?
Inside story?

@Bond007:

?
Inside story?

Well you see Sam was a low level AMD employee at one point in time so he believes that anything amd is him 😛

but I was praising ASUS for great fans and cooling not AMD for their stock single fan garbage cooler.

That's like saying "Your welcome for your brand new asus gaming laptop, that was all me as I worked in the repair guide division" sure I was part of the team but in the end not many Canadians or Americans design AMD or Nvidia stuff on our soil anymore.

@Bond007:

?
Inside story?

I worked software quality assurance there before and after the card mentioned was released

@Arinoth:

I worked software quality assurance there before and after the card mentioned was released

So it was your bright idea to set them to 40% fan till 90c and only then turn up. you know 90c is like death in small rooms 😛

@Soullessone21:

So it was your bright idea to set them to 40% fan till 90c and only then turn up. you know 90c is like death in small rooms 😛

Nope, that would be the PM or a dev.

@Arinoth:

Interesting. So we can blame you for software crashes? lol.

Odd thing about the swap is specific games like DayZ are horrible on AMD compared to Nvidia where other games like The Crew and Saints row run way better on amd.

Damn beta games

Views