Computer hard lock after GPU swap

I just swapped from a HD 6950 OC'd with shaders unlocked to a r9 280x. Computer runs fine for destop, browsing, movies, and low demand games. As soon as you load the GPU in more demanding scenarios the computer stops responding completely… have to hard shut down. It continues to display a black or grey striped signal to my monitor. All fans and lights remain running as normal in the case. Tried reseating the GPU and connectors, and going to a different driver version. Temps appear to be fine for what I can gather before the shutdown (I tried a custom fan profile with high rpm with the same results). Uninstalled drivers and cleaned before installing the new GPU. Specs are as per sig.

Am I missing something. I am thinking it is the GPU or the PSU, but hope its not either. Any ideas? Any way to tell if its one or the other? The PSU is not the best, but less than a year old and should easily power the GPU

@Bond007:

I just swapped from a HD 6950 OC'd with shaders unlocked to a r9 280x. Computer runs fine for destop, browsing, movies, and low demand games. As soon as you load the GPU in more demanding scenarios the computer stops responding completely… have to hard shut down. It continues to display a black or grey striped signal to my monitor. All fans and lights remain running as normal in the case. Tried reseating the GPU and connectors, and going to a different driver version. Temps appear to be fine for what I can gather before the shutdown (I tried a custom fan profile with high rpm with the same results). Uninstalled drivers and cleaned before installing the new GPU. Specs are as per sig.

Am I missing something. I am thinking it is the GPU or the PSU, but hope its not either. Any ideas? Any way to tell if its one or the other? The PSU is not the best, but less than a year old and should easily power the GPU

Do you have another rig you can test it in?

If not I will send you a different one if we cant figure it out

-Soul

@Soullessone21:

Do you have another rig you can test it in?

If not I will send you a different one if we cant figure it out

-Soul

I don't have another computer to try it in, since they all have too small of PSU. I will see if someone I work with has a decent enough PSU…...I am just about to try a different set of modular cables to the GPU, if that doesn't work I will retry the 6950 to make sure that still works fine.

Out of the box thinking, do you think I could use a jumper on my older seasonic PSU and have it just going to the 6 and 8 pin connectors of the GPU (jump it to have it powered up)? It would be more than strong enough for just those, but not enough to run the whole computer.

@Bond007:

I don't have another computer to try it in, since they all have too small of PSU. I will see if someone I work with has a decent enough PSU…...I am just about to try a different set of modular cables to the GPU, if that doesn't work I will retry the 6950 to make sure that still works fine.

Out of the box thinking, do you think I could use a jumper on my older seasonic PSU and have it just going to the 6 and 8 pin connectors of the GPU (jump it to have it powered up)? It would be more than strong enough for just those, but not enough to run the whole computer.

The jumper idea is possible I have seen lots of people do that in bitcoining but normally we use a dual psu adapter.

You should move to Calgary we all have spare tech benches here haha.

Keep us posted

Update so far. Tried different pcie cables and connections on the psu…no joy. Tried my 2 PSU setup idea. Worked until 3D load, and then it tripped OCP in the seasonic PSU and shut it down. My bro has a loan of my power meter, but I will get it this weekend and see if it's drawing excess power or not.

@Bond007:

Update so far. Tried different pcie cables and connections on the psu…no joy. Tried my 2 PSU setup idea. Worked until 3D load, and then it tripped OCP in the seasonic PSU and shut it down. My bro has a loan of my power meter, but I will get it this weekend and see if it's drawing excess power or not.

Wondering if some where in the PSU if your not getting power surge and it dropping with full load.
Having two PSU tied into each other care it does not send a surge to the second PSU and could cause damage.

Did you just try putting old 6950 card back in, hmm maybe wait till you get multimeter, if you lived close I could send you a few of my spare multimeter.

@yzfraven:

Wondering if some where in the PSU if your not getting power surge and it dropping with full load.
Having two PSU tied into each other care it does not send a surge to the second PSU and could cause damage.

Did you just try putting old 6950 card back in, hmm maybe wait till you get multimeter, if you lived close I could send you a few of my spare multimeter.

I have a multimeter. 6950 is back in now, but I won't get to check until later. Won't be gaming on the weekend anyway, and I will get my power meter to check the actual load getting pulled from the wall…see if it makes sense.

With your multimeter test at where the cables for video card come in ,when you put a load on and see if the draw is dropping or spiking

6950 is back in and running without issue. So…...I know the PSU isn't garbage, BUT the 280x will definitely be putting a higher load on it (it does use more power). So I still am not positive what the issue is. I know the PSU SHOULD easily power the 280X, but it doesn't rule out the possibility. I won't be on my desktop for the rest of the weekend though, so I will have to resume troubleshooting next week.

That will involve reinstalling the GPU, the drivers...go from there.

@yzfraven:

With your multimeter test at where the cables for video card come it when you put a load on and see if the draw is dropping or spiking

Good idea. May try that once the 280x goes back in after the weekend.

you're on the right track but you didn't mention the most important thing, what's your psu?

I've had that happen to a customer with his EVGA 500W B PSU and a 290, there wasn't enough power on the 12V rail to power the GPU and I had to change the power supply to a more powerful one which I'm guessing is what's going on in your case.

It's the fury 750W ?

@TheDarkLord:

It's the fury 750W ?

That's the one. Use to have it at a few places, but it seems to be disappearing. Here is a link to US newegg for it if you are curious. Its a decent but not great design. SHOULD be more than enough. 60amp on 12v rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4S82BP8984&cm_re=bitfenix_fury--17-376-003--Product

Reviews show it can actually deliver its power as well.

Built by FSP, Designed by BitFenix
specs seem good

• Dimensions (WxHxD): 150mm x 86mm x 160mm
  • MTBF: 100,000 hours
  • Efficiency Rating: 80Plus Gold
  • PF Correction: Active
  • Operating Temp. 0 - 40°C
  • Protection Features: Over Voltage / Under Voltage / Over Current / Short Circuit / Over Temperature / Over Power
  • Safety Approvals: CB / TUV / ULOR CUL / BSMI
  • 3.3v: 30A
  • 5v: 30A
  • 12v: 60A
  • Total Power: 750W
  • 1x 8-pin CPU Cable (8+4+4)
  • 4x 8-pin VGA Cable (6+2)
  • 3x SATA Cable (quad, dual, dual)
  • 1x Molex Cable (triple)
  • 1x SATA + Molex (1+1)
  • 1x Floppy Adapter
  • 4x Standard Screws

So how is the card now is it still going down.

@yzfraven:

So how is the card now is it still going down.

Not able to work on it this weekend. Troubleshooting ended after the 6950 was working. I will pick it up from there prob Sunday or Monday

Looks like (fingers crossed), I have the card running now (just did 30 min of good gaming without issue…hopefully nothing comes up again).

Someone mentioned to me that they had similar problems on an MSI 280x and it was because of the company limiting the power in the bios and it not playing nicely with how AMD drivers expect the card to behave. I guess they are suppose to have a limit just under 250watts, but his MSI was down around 212w. He fixed his by modding the bios. I didn't want to modify the bios, but I saved and opened the current one on my XFX card, and sure enough it is set to limit at 204. I opened MSI afterburner, and set the power limit to +20%. 30 minutes of gaming later and I didn't have any problems.

I will let you all know if anything takes a turn for the worse again, but I am hopeful that its case closed.

mmm did you buy yours used? If that came from the company like, you'd expect everyone that bought a card having the same problem and the internet blowing up about it

That is good to here
Since my new build has a HIS R9 280X and I will check to see if that happens to mine.

Keep us posted..
🙂

@TheDarkLord:

mmm did you buy yours used? If that came from the company like, you'd expect everyone that bought a card having the same problem and the internet blowing up about it

You would think it would be everywhere. Not sure. Maybe cards that do this would end up RMA'd? I will get some more gaming in later today and see if it's still running well. Doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't exhibit that annoying behaviour again. I will run some stress testing to, to make sure it doesn't lock.

how did it go?

Game for 12 hours with no issue?

Hope all is well with it.

Was going to chime in earlier, Wife is running the Fury 750 as well her specs are
X79 Sabertooth
3970x at 4.8Ghz on 6 cores
32GB DDR3 1866(was 64 but I stole some for Adobe as she has still not noticed haha)
PNY 770 4GB OC
2x 512GB Adata SSD
2x 1TB Black WD
Lots of fans
Upgraded Asus sound card

No issues what so ever. The Fury though people say the specs are good the cable quality(what they push as the selling point) is junk
looks like its covered in electrical tape out of the box

old photo been modded a bit since this one but was running at the time haha

That rig would definitely pull more power than mine.

I may have spoke too soon before. I think it may be an issue with the GPU (or bios). I have my power meter now as well. With further looking into the bios issue it appears most 280X have the bios set to somewhere just north of 200W, so the 204 setting on this one is normal. As I said, I haven't modified that. Adjusting the power limit in afterburner initially appeared to solve the problem, since I gamed some on it without issue. 1 run through firestrike without issue. My rig is only pulling 280-305watts from the wall for the most part in game. It seems like the card black screens when it hits the power limit (vice throttling like I think it should). If I drop the power limiter in afterburner to stock or lower I get lock up very quickly in demanding games. If I crank it lasts longer, but I just tried some sniper elite, and it locked up after around 5 minutes, and I recorded a peak in power draw of 318watts from the wall right as it occurred.

A little more troubleshooting on the way, but I think I may have a bad one.

Views