Computer hard lock after GPU swap

Even dropping core to 850 (from 1000) and memory to 1400 (from 1500) is still causing locking. Now it is sometimes locking on a grey striped screen with looping sound in the background (whatever the last game sound was at the time). Searched for that and the screen looks like what lots of people called "ati grey screen of death" with 58xx cards. Later I will try just dropping VRAM speed a bunch…some people seem to say that screen is caused by bad memory.

So looking online I found that your card is not the only one having this issue, a few Sapphire and Asus R9 280X have same issue, grey artifacts and lock ups
From what I read there saying it could be drivers issue. A lot tried what you did under clock core and memory worked for a bit then issue came back when gaming
So see if you don't have the older driver for your 6900Series still installed in a folder that could be causing the issue.
Some one also said they downloaded the beta drivers and problem went away..
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

if you like the sites I read up on i can post them for you
Since I might be in same boat as you once I get my new rig set up

Oh one more thing don't use Catalyst 14.9 driver, causing

[404829]: Horizontal flashing lines on second screen in a clone mode with V-Sync on using AMD Mobility Graphics with Switchable Intel Graphics
[404508]: Display takes a long time to redraw the screen after an S4 cycle
[405432]: Mantle driver will TDR when running Star Swarm on the loading screen
[404660]: GPU gets stuck in a low power state after it was previously stressed to max power
[403032]: Severe flickering observed on default launch of SimCity 4
[403449]: Playing any media sample in full screen in the 2x1/1x2 Fill SLS configuration leads to TDR
[400573]: Intermittent application hang observed while launching Aliens vs. Predator
[400693]: While running performance test, crash is observed with fault module atidxx32.dll
[401386]: Severe corruption and flashing light observed with specific game settings in Grid 2
[401289]: Flashing lights in Batman Arkham Origins game main menu
[xxxxxx]: Driver installation randomly crashes or hangs
[xxxxxx]: Intermittent black screen or BSOD on reboot after driver installation
[406933]: AMD Catalyst™ Control Center intermittently crashes or fails to load

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2014/10/03/amd-catalyst-14-9-bugs/1

I have tried 14.12 and the beta 15.3. Tried just uninstall and reinstall…also tried uninstall and delete every amd/ati file, folder, and registry entry, then reinstall...same result.

If it is bad memory it's not speed related. Just tried down clocking from 1500 to 1250 (6000 down to 5000 effective)…no luck. I am out of ideas on this one. Only thing left is if one of the guys at work has a decent enough computer to try it in. Going back to my 6950 unless a great idea comes up from someone.

Have you tried your card in your friends computer yet.

Question when you plug in your PSU cable to the card, does the PSU plug right in or does it need another cable adapter.
Do you know what I mean. My PSU has extra cables  attachments has 8 pin, but from the PSU they are 6 pin.
Hope I am explaining my self correct.

I'm just going to send him a new GPU 🙂

No reason to keep beating the dead horse 😛

But I like trouble shooting..  🙂

@yzfraven:

But I like trouble shooting..  🙂

Haha. Cables are real 8 pin. Haven't been able to find someone with a decent PSU yet.

So did you get a new card yet?

Na cuz some dick took to long to ship it 😛

He will get it asap 🙂

@Soullessone21:

He will get it asap 🙂

Well it is snowing over in that part of Canada, so mail might be slow….  lol  ;D

I will update about GPU #2 as soon as I can (need to get it and then get the time to put it in). At this point I just really hope it was a GPU issue so I can enjoy the new one. All indications point that way, but you never know. 6950 has been running like a champ since it was reinstalled, so atleast I am not without a computer and I know the system is stable.

Oh….and please don't talk about the snow. I have spent more than 75% of my life in NS and this is by far the worst/longest winter ever. It makes me want to throw up when I look out my window and realize it is the second week of April...lol.

@Soullessone21:

He will get it asap 🙂

lol. Appreciate it.

UPDATE: Replacement card is in. Haven't gamed a lot on it yet (30 min Sniper elite v2, and a handful of rounds of war thunder), but (knock on wood) it is running like a champ so far. Those games were locking the other card in 5 minutes tops (usually much less).

I am hoping it is case closed. Thanks for your input everyone…hopefully this thread is done with.

Glad to hear bond. Now I can try to shoot you down in war thunder.. lol

Necroing a little but got this 280x working like a champ. Did a 4 minute reflow on it then new compound and a bios update and it took 8 hours of stress like a champ and games perfectly as it should of 🙂
wife is running it now wonder if she will even know I swapped her 770 for it so I could return my review gear haha.

@Soullessone21:

Necroing a little but got this 280x working like a champ. Did a 4 hour reflow on in then new compound and a bios update and it took 8 hours of stress like a champ and games perfectly as it should of 🙂
wife is running it now wonder if she will even know I swapped her 770 for it so I could return my review gear haha.

Good to hear.

Maybe I am just not getting it, or it's a typo, but what is a 4 hour reflow?

Did it lock up on you before you did the bios update and new conpound?

Sorry that was a typo it was a 4 min oven reflow at 400 till I saw the solder melt.

After that point let er cool for a few hours put it back together and bam she's a brand new card.

it was crashing right away before I did the reflow the bios update gave it another 30 min run time each time but it would still black screen. The reflow fixed it and it can game all day now no issues.

Right on. Sounds like a fun fix. Enjoy!