USB issues with Asus MIVE…

So today i noticed my mouse kept connecting and disconnecting randomly… im not sure if this is from cookie click (damn game!) or if it is an underlying issue. But I can say that this board did have issues with usb over-current warning in windows before...i eventually jsut ignored them because it didnt effect anything and would only happen randomly when the computer was idol..i.e. overnight or when returning home from work.....Soul, I know you have quite a bit of ASUS backround, can you chime in on this? Should I look into RMA or wait until i get something solidly mal-functioning?

First want to know if your usb(3.0) and usb(2.0) slots both show the same issues? also do you have the newest bios and drivers for your usb 3 ports?

Next try updating the chipset.

if all that is done we can start working on a RMA for sure:) also odd issue where I only saw once with this was a failing ram stick.

@Soullessone21:

First want to know if your usb(3.0) and usb(2.0) slots both show the same issues? also do you have the newest bios and drivers for your usb 3 ports?

Next try updating the chipset.

if all that is done we can start working on a RMA for sure:) also odd issue where I only saw once with this was a failing ram stick.

Only has usb 3.0 to my knowledge. bios and drivers :S (embarassed) lol i know for sure that they arent up to date. same with chipset. Im not worried about it at the moment( as it is only intermittent) I was just looking for opinions or if anyone heard of this before. I will look into the drivers and bios tonight to update and see if it happens again. Im also going to do some mem test runs too!. Thanks for the suggestions soul!

Is this a hard wired or wireless mouse? If it's wireless, try to get the receiver into a better line of sight to see if that resolves the issue.

I've also run into a situation myself where it wasn't the location of the receiver, but instead was a flakey cable to the USB hub (monitor) I was plugging the receiver into.

edit: Another thing to look for is if you've recently changed light sources in the room. It doesn't happen very often, but the best sleuthing of all times was the guy who's mouse used to start working erratically at specific times of the day… after a few weeks of troubleshooting and headscratching (and noticing that the time frame was shifting slightly) somebody noticed that the times related to the issues were the same times that direct sunlight was coming in through the window and onto the mouse/pad. Either the mousepad was moved, or curtains were closed and the problem went away.  🙂

@sswilson:

Is this a hard wired or wireless mouse? If it's wireless, try to get the receiver into a better line of sight to see if that resolves the issue.

I've also run into a situation myself where it wasn't the location of the receiver, but instead was a flakey cable to the USB hub (monitor) I was plugging the receiver into.

edit: Another thing to look for is if you've recently changed light sources in the room. It doesn't happen very often, but the best sleuthing of all times was the guy who's mouse used to start working erratically at specific times of the day… after a few weeks of troubleshooting and headscratching (and noticing that the time frame was shifting slightly) somebody noticed that the times related to the issues were the same times that direct sunlight was coming in through the window and onto the mouse/pad. Either the mousepad was moved, or curtains were closed and the problem went away.  🙂

very ninja…but nope this is a rat 5, it was fluky as this mouse has been A1 since the time i bought it, was wondering if it was tied to the over-volting warning windows gave me before..

I'd suggest grabbing a new mouse and seeing if that stops the issue.  At least then you'd be able to ascertain whether its an external or internal issue.  If it stops disconnecting with the new mouse then try the mouse in another computer / laptop to see if the issue begins anew in the new hardware.  Again, if it happens there, you know that you've got a short in your mouse.

So, Heres an update.  yesterday i went ahead and downloaded all the new drivers and the newest bios. driver installation went smooth, just had to do the bios update. I had updated many of bios before so no biggie, until after flashing i prompted with a "reading failed" notice…f*&K. anyways after some tricky button presses I did manage to get the thing to re-read and re-flash the bios..all was well. re-boot the system and bam...not reading my boot ssd. f*&k. Switched from ide to achi and back a few times and it popped up. Then noticed that my oc setting were gone..didnt have them saved in a profile nor did i have them memorized/wrote down, so i then spent the next 4hrs re-doing my oc and stress testing. I have it back up to 4.5ghz but i don't think im 100% stable. It passed intelburn test on very high 10 runs, and did a prime 95 from 10:30 last night, until 4:30 this morning (stopped either when the power went out, or crashed not sure which) So i am pretty happy with that, will stress again tonight.

so today checking the news and what not on-line I go to move my mouse and bam stutters again 😞 I did some reading on-line and apparently R.A.T mice are prone to stuttering and jerkiness on USB 3.0 which is strange the issues are just occurring. Anyway, I will just put up with it until I no longer can and purchase another gaming mouse.  Thanks for your help all!

Mav

you probably have a usb 2.0 header on the front of your case try that ?

Views