HWBOT Country Cup 2016

@Dead:

Are you kidding me? I looooove talking about this stuff! Can't get enough of it!

Awesome this week I will take off from game streams and focus on OCing 🙂

I'm particularly excited about this year's Country Cup, because it's been my first opportunity to work with sub-zero cooling! Bought a single stage phase change unit from a HWC forum member, and it's been amazing at overclocking AMD FM2+ and Intel LGA115* chips! Admittedly, it was a bit overwhelmed by the AMD AM3+ FX chips like the FX-9590. But hey, if the FX-9590 does not overwhelm you, then you have no whelm!

@Dead:

I'm particularly excited about this year's Country Cup, because it's been my first opportunity to work with sub-zero cooling! Bought a single stage phase change unit from a HWC forum member, and it's been amazing at overclocking AMD FM2+ and Intel LGA115* chips! Admittedly, it was a bit overwhelmed by the AMD AM3+ FX chips like the FX-9590. But hey, if the FX-9590 does not overwhelm you, then you have no whelm!

Holy crap that is impressive, I have not had a time to look at the competition yet but will tonight 🙂

Yup, that's an i5 6600K at 1.675v in BIOS (1.683v real) that idles at -31C. Full load after about half an hour of Prime95 at those volts is about -19C.

Yea John you should be in this as well..
use your 1055T

Actually, John, if you can get your sweaty mitts on any Skylake or Haswell chips - we're desperate for scores in Stage 1 using the new x265 benchmark!

edit - It's a multithreaded bench, so the more cores/threads the better. So far, we have 4770K, 4790K, 6600K and 6300. I know a couple of us are working on 6700K and 6320 scores. But we need four more after that.

edit2 - Broadwell too! Well, the 5775C at least. Requirements are LGA1150 or LGA1151 chips.

@Dead:

Actually, John, if you can get your sweaty mitts on any Skylake or Haswell chips - we're desperate for scores in Stage 1 using the new x265 benchmark!

Right now for CPU's I have
1055t
q6600
e8400
some Pentiums
FX 8300
3960x

Lpfan is running a 6700k

I'll hunt around see what else is kicking around, maybe we can borrow GaK as well he has tons of high end gear to 🙂

@Soullessone21:

Right now for CPU's I have
1055t
q6600
e8400
some Pentiums
FX 8300
3960x

Lpfan is running a 6700k

I'll hunt around see what else is kicking around, maybe we can borrow GaK as well he has tons of high end gear to 🙂

Ahh damn! A lot of that stuff would definitely play! Do you have any high-end AMD video cards?

@Dead:

Ahh damn! A lot of that stuff would definitely play! Do you have any high-end AMD video cards?

Sadly just a 290x that's it

@Soullessone21:

Sadly just a 290x that's it

That's purrfect!!! Okay here's what we need you to do if you're geek enough…

1. HWBOT x265 1080p w/ 4670K - Use Win7 64bit for this, run it realtime. There are a few other tips/tricks to net a bit better score, but we can cross that bridge when you come to it.
  2. 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme w/ 290X and either your 6800K or your 3960X - Use Win7 64bit for this as well. Let me know if you get to this, and I'll help with a couple of additional tips.
  3. GPUPI 1B w/ 1055T - Use Win7 64bit here too. Have an AMD video card, and install the OpenCL version that is packaged w/ Catalyst 12.6 - it's faster than any other version before or since.

Those are in priority sequence, so if you can only get to one or two of them before time runs out (Dec. 18) then do them in that order. Now show us whatchoo got mang!

Is there any rules that say I cannot run my rig outside for these oc comps? -26 here and the only thing good about that is cold computers haha

Not at all! I used to do that a lot. I have a basement office, with a window that looks out to underneath my front porch, so I can put rigs outside and just run the cables into my office where I stay toasty and warm. I even lined the underside of my porch in the area around the window with tarp so that I wouldn't have to stop benching just because it was snowing outside!

Nice way to drop temps a few degrees

@Bond007:

Nice way to drop temps a few degrees

A few degrees??? It's -30 here haha. My dog looked at me last night before bed and I swear he was thinking "maybe I should just shit in the house, I'm sure the beating will be less painful then going outside" haha

Just kidding my dogs retarded it could be -50 and he would still think it's a nice day to jump the fence and patrol for bitches

But I thinknow DT is onto something there 🙂

Yeah, absolutely! A 50C swing in ambient temperatures makes a huge difference! I can run LGA115* i7's at about 10-20C while benching full load with 1.6v+ to the core on a simple 280 AIO.

Just subbed this outside. GTS 250 on Corsair H70, vGPU mod to 1.42v (from 1.2v stock). Core temp never got above 30C during benchmarking (outside temp -6C). Goes to show how effective the 'sticking the rig outside' methodology really is.