Am I the only one that is getting sick and tired of buying a game only to find out that It is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY UNPLAYABLE.

I'm not talking about the "oh i have an old piece of shit computer and can't get good framerates like everyone else" unplayable, but the "I have a monster wicked ass pc thats gods gift to gaming and I still get 5 FPS on the lowest settings" kind of unplayable.

I've recently bought two games I was really excited about, Naruto shippuden blah blah burst (wtf is with japanese names anyway) and X Rebirth.  Both games were more than 30 bucks USD, so not el' cheapo games you have to expect to be POS games.

This is such a trend for games lately that I'm really getting concerned.  Are the developers so anxious to get their junk out to market and make a quick buck that their willing to absolutely tarnish any name the could possibly have?  I know that I'm looking into the companies who developed them and will be avoiding their crap from now on, no matter how good it looks.

I have heard the same thing about even larger titles like call of duty or even bf4 on release.

Its a sad world we live in look at my favorite game of all time if it was not for such a passion to play fallout 3 I would of walked away after the first 100 crashes.

Problem is people will keeping buying the garbage, thinking the next iteration will be better when it's the same steaming pile of crap.

Publishers/Developers I will NOT buy games from, at least no where near retail pricing:
EA (SimCity, SWTOR both rushed games released before they were ready due to EA, oh and how they bastardized C&C universe)
Dice (BC2 was their best 'modern' shooter in my opinion)
Bioware (Dragon Age 2 reusable areas, Mass Effect 3 short campaign, SWTOR HORRIBLE customer service, The fact THEY don't know how to balance classes)
Activision (CoD, need I say more?)
Blizzard (Diablo 3 cash cow, with the PC version being worse then the console, WoW tailoring 110% to casuals)

On the fence:
Bethasda (Their games rely HEAVILY on the mod community to improve their game)

Guys I have faith in (to name a few)
CD Projekt Red with the Witcher series.
Gearbox with the Borderlands series
Irrational Games with Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite

I will still try a game from the list of 'bad' guys with an open mind, just means I don't think they deserve 60$ or 40$ for their game.

I think it might be time to adopt a 6 month policy… if the game hasn't been out for at least 6 months, then don't buy it yet.  Most bad games get fixed within that time, and as an added bonus, the price is usually dropped by 25-50% too.

I feel your pain about simcity and C&C... my two favorite games growing up and I can't stand to look at whats become of either of them.  simcity4 and C&C Generals were the last good ones IMO

Not only stuff for what you have to pay could be deadly slow - for example WOT seems to be struggling even on fast computers pretty much badly… Therefore it could be stated, that optimizing performance become almost a unknown thing today.

I wonder, if Mantle and BF4 patch for this optimized low-level rendering system could change this bad situation a bit for the better...

Soullessone21:

fallout 3 I would of walked away after the first 100 crashes.

That must be very sad, when you like the game, yet it cannot work stable, so you have to pass by on it. That must really hurt. Maybe they released some patches to cure these problems already, Soul? That must suxx…

At least I'm hardware prohibited to play much games right now, so I did not have these problems 🙂 My SoF2 game crash in about 30 to 45min of gaming, but that is not because the game does such things, but because the machine is unstable.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I bought Sim City 5, Spore and a few others on launch day. Launch MINUTE really. The lead up to spore was phenomenal!! I read about it for a year before it launched. Watched the demos. We all know how that worked out.

Even with Sim City, myself and my boyfriend played the 1 hour demo the week before. All up to date on the game. It was amazing in demo, amazing to watch other people play in beta. Catastrophic failure. However we did get a free dead space 3 out of the deal so I guess that launch was redeemable. Its a pretty boring game, not worth 60$. Very flawed.

Its weird. I dont know if its solvable though. I watched other people play both games and I thought it would be fun.  I just didnt enjoy playing Sim City after 20 hours, or about 28 minutes of spore. 6 months later, if 50% of people like the game and post nice things, I still could buy it and it could totally blow. If I bought a movie on on bluray for 40$, I get home, watch it and it sucks.. I can return it, usually.

On the other hand I fucking LOVE Fallout 3. Fallout NV was playable after the first big patch. I'll buy anything Bethesda makes. Not EA. Fuck EA.

So I would guess that BF4 is f*cked up from that point of view, just because EA is the seller?

I would be inclined to believe that mainly the maker of the game is responsible for the quality of the game he produced. The seller have a little impact, IMHO.

What I did not like are games, that are entierly dependent on some sort of "Master server", so when the company pull the plug, then there is nothing one can do. I never spend a penny on game, that require internet connection and cannot work w/o some form of support by it's parent company. I mean - lot's of people still play SoF2 multiplayer game.
What if it require some server running by the company? It will not exist for years now…  So that is sort of my position there. Another reason is game, that require me to have the CD/DVD in the drive in order to play it. This is unacceptable as well. Of course it get cracked or get around it using Deamon Tools and stuff, but still things should work w/o forcing everyone to prove he is a legal owner.

I loved the Bioware's Mass Effect Trilogy but will agree 3, had short comings. It was a short campaign after hundreds and hundreds of hours spent playing and 1 & 2.
Console gaming wise, I have an absolute blast playing the Mass Effect Multiplayer.  😛

I've been following some online blogs about the new Bioware unnamed "Mass Effect 4" release.
Anxious to give that a try!

@Foxy6988:

I loved the Bioware's Mass Effect Trilogy but will agree 3, had short comings. It was a short campaign after hundreds and hundreds of hours spent playing and 1 & 2.
Console gaming wise, I have an absolute blast playing the Mass Effect Multiplayer.  😛

I've been following some online blogs about the new Bioware unnamed "Mass Effect 4" release.
Anxious to give that a try!

I do agree I probably put more time into playing the Mass Effect Multiplayer on PC then I did the entire campaign, though that's because I wanted a 100% for everything….

@trodas:

So I would guess that BF4 is f*cked up from that point of view, just because EA is the seller?

I would be inclined to believe that mainly the maker of the game is responsible for the quality of the game he produced. The seller have a little impact, IMHO.

I think BF4 is a solid game, same with BF3. Fun, nice maps, pretty, good gameplay…

I actually DONT like the seller. The game cost 60 dollars when it came out,  with an additional 50$ to get premium (First four expansions). Thats 110$ for a game at launch!!! Thats INSANE. I dont think that has too much to do with Dice. They made the game, made the expansions. Its EA who markets its, decides to launch a new expansion a month after release that you have to pay extra for. I also really really hate battlelog, but thats a whole different story.

However, boyfriend sitting beside me is playing bf4 and was very happy to for it.

Views